I’ve confessed my tendency to serve my goals, rather than allowing them to serve me.
I’ve established six areas in which I believe every Christian ought to be setting goals.
I’ve attempted to explain the difference between (and the importance of) goals, objectives, and strategies.
And the penultimate post in this series — some of my strategies and goals for the year 2010:
- I will continue to begin each day by working through my prayer list while drinking coffee.
- Five days a week, my prayer time will be followed by a personal Bible study.
- I will continue to use the 3-column Bible study method.
- I will meditate for at least one hour each week in complete silence and solitude.
- I will fast once every two weeks, and devote that time to prayer.
- Christie and I will continue praying together before bed each night.
- Christie and I will begin reading books together and discussing each week what we’ve learned and how we can make it practical in our lives and ministry. We haven’t chosen the first book (it’s more difficult here — not a big selection).
- Christie, Baylor, and I will have a family devotional time each day. For now it will consist of songs and prayer; we’ve found Baylor responds to singing, and God has always responded to prayer.
- Christie and I will have a “date” once a week — though a date in Geita probably just means watching a DVD together. Still we will set aside at least one time slot a week just to focus on one another, enjoy our time together… and be romantic.
- I will study Swahili at least twice a week.
- I will read about Tanzanian culture, history, and current events at least twice a week.
- I will read about agriculture and/or development at least twice a week.
- I will practice banjo at least twice a week.
- I will feel comfortable praying aloud in any and all situations before 2011.
- I will memorize the Sermon on the Mount before 2011.
- I will be “fluent” in Swahili before July 1, 2010.
- I will begin Discovery Bible Studies as God leads me to people of peace — or them to me. [Two are starting in the very near future — and likely a third will follow soon after.]
- I will begin the development of a model / demonstration farm before September 1, 2010.
- I will create a curriculum for a “Discovery Agriculture Study” before 2011.
- I will start a chicken vaccination project before 2011.
- I will satisfy all qualifying requirements for Navy SEAL training before April 1, 2010.
- I will run a 3:30 (or better) marathon before 2011. [I haven’t picked the race yet…]
- I will ride my mountain bike from Geita to Mwanza and back before 2011.
- I will not grow a huge beard in 2010.
Next post in this series: blurring the lines