I know, I know… it’s incredibly cliche. But still:
You might be a missionary in Africa if…
10. the very last place you’d go when sick or injured is the local hospital.
9. you and everyone in your family answers to at least two different names. [My daughter is both Baylor and Bella. My wife is Christie, Christ, Mama Bright, and Mama Bella. And I am known as Brett, James, Bright, Baba Bella, Jesus, and John the Baptist (even though I shaved my beard a long time ago).]
8. you have to drive three hours and cross the lake on a ferry in order to buy a cheeseburger or a pizza. And it still doesn’t taste good.
7. those cheeseburgers and pizzas are starting to taste really good to you.
6. you believe the average number of children in a family is seven.
5. 80% of your meals contain rice, and the other 20% require the slaughter of an animal and over four hours to cook.
4. your local friends expect you to know all the white people in the world…
and President Obama.
3. your American friends expect you to know all the missionaries in Africa — a continent more than 3X the size of the United States (including Alaska).
2. you see no mosquitoes in the bathroom, and are overjoyed that you get to use the facilities without wielding an electric tennis racket.
1. checking your email is the equivalent of going to the movie theater — and you actually get a coke and make popcorn (on the stove) before you turn the computer on.
Are there some that I’ve missed?