Today is my anniversary! Yeah, the blog and I have been together now for exactly one year (hence the paper). We’ve had our ups and downs and, truth be told, we’re not necessarily in this for better or for worse and in sickness and in health. Pretty much, first whiff of trouble I get… I’m out of here. Why do you think we haven’t had any little baby blogs yet?
But I don’t anticipate leaving aliens and strangers anytime soon. I enjoy it too much.
On November 5th of last year, I posted my first blog entry. Prior to that day I was writing reports each month and sending them out to everyone who’d subscribed to our mission email list. Every month I was writing five or six pages of stuff — and having to delete most of it to reach a suitable length for an email. I was challenged by Ross Kellis to start a blog instead. I thought and prayed about it. And what tipped me over the edge was that I wanted to write some kind of Bible studies or devotional thoughts that would allow and encourage discussion; and I didn’t have an outlet for such. The blog was born.
Asterisks overboard was my first blog post (not necessarily my finest work, but my first post all the same), and was written in the same format as my email reports. The first post written more in the style of a blog followed the next day — paul’s big mistakes. And now, here we are at the end of year one. My regular readers will know I’m not one to write about blog rankings and numbers and the like — I actually never have before today.* [And, in speaking with a few of you, I’ve found that some would believe my blog is considerably more “successful” and far reaching than it actually is.] Today, on my anniversary, I thought I’d post a few stats and a list of the “Top 10 (or 12, depending on how you count it) Posts on Aliens and Strangers.”
aliens and strangers
Total Visits = 55,000
Current Average per Day = 177
Average per Month = 4,583
Alexa Traffic Rank = 1,919,581
Technorati Rank = 34,751
Technorati Authority = 122
- Most Visited Post
- Favorite Corruption of Scripture
- Favorite Satire Piece
- Favorite (still) Unfinished, Yet Published (anyway), Essay
- Favorite Advice for Christians Today and part two
- Missionary Full Disclosure
- How (not) to Eat With Your Hands — a Photo Tour
- Best Top 10 List or maybe it’s this one?
- A Post About Dead Animals
- How to Study the Bible
Alright, enough of my shameless plugging. Feel free to do your own in the comments today; I figure it’s only fair. Which of your blog posts would you most like the rest of us to read? Leave a link or two.
* However, I must admit I had an unhealthy relationship with site stats and page views for the first 4 or 5 months of this blog; I was looking at that stuff almost every day. The desire to be admired often leads to prostitution and a betrayal of one’s ideals. And site statistics quickly turn into popularity pornography. I’ve got a much healthier grasp on all of this these days.